I spent the last two days teaching classes on HIV and STIs. This is a subject of critical relevance in Ghana, and it felt amazing to participate in the progress that is being made here. I absolutely love teaching. The children in my classes are amazing. Many of them have learned about hardship early in life, but they continue show up for themselves each and every day. I have been deeply moved by these children and their stories. And although I am their teacher, they have taught me so much (corny? maybe...but true nonetheless). I am learning so much...or rather, unlearning. I am unlearning what I thought were the ways of the world; I am unlearning what I thought a long day looked like; I am unlearning what I thought it meant to work hard. And for this I am grateful.
And in the spirit of my unlearning, I have decided to embark on a new adventure. Beginning the week after next, I will be moving to a new teaching placement, in rural Ghana. I will be leaving the basecamp and heading to Swedru, a small town a couple of hours away from Accra. In Swedru, I will be living with a family, and teaching at the FrankEve Human Development Foundation http://www.frankevefoundation.org/. I will be there for three weeks, and I am ready for the new challenges that this opportunity will bring.
In the meantime, there is lots going on before I go. Tomorrow I will make my way to northern Ghana for a walking safari in Mole National Park. We are likely to see elephants, crocodiles and monkeys, among other wildlife species! Details to follow once I'm back next week.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment