Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow

Today I got to the internet cafe alone!  A real feat (see previous blog entry).  This was my first time taking a tro-tro (mini-buses running throughout the city) without one of the volunteer program leaders coming along.  Of course, I am here with other members of my group, but we are really just the blind leading the blind.  The leaning curve is steep, but I'm climbing it fast!

Yesterday we spent the afternoon taking African dancing and drumming lessons.  It was an absolute blast, not to mention a fantastic workout.  Afterwards, we watched the dance troop that gave us our lessons rehearse their material for an upcoming competition.  They were amazing (will post video soon).  Today we were at the local market where I bought some beautiful fabrics to have made into dresses. 

I have learned from experience that 'tomorrow' in Ghana doesn't mean tomorrow.  It means some day in the future.  Not today, and likely not the day after today (i.e. 'tomorrow' where I come from).  This has helped to moderate my expectations going forward.  I was told that I could expect functioning internet, lights, and toilet seats to be installed 'tomorrow', on the evening that I arrived.  That was 5 nights ago.  Still waiting...

I have been told we are going to the beach tomorrow.  Needless to say, I'm not holding my breath!

No comments: