I had a fantastic weekend. Not only because my beautiful nephew was born (although that's a big part of it), but also because I am finally starting to feel settled. The amazing race really showed us how independent we are in this daunting city, and I have finally started moving around on my own!
Saturday night we were invited to the birthday party of a friend of someone that works for our volunteer organization. It was in a beautiful home in a very affluent part of the city - it was immaculate. There was great food, music, and dancing. It was an awesome party (and I was secretly celebrating Jack's birthday!).
Yesterday was very low key. We spent time lounging around the basecamp, relaxing and getting ready for our first day of school, which was today. I had a great time meeting the teachers today and the students are vibrant and very welcoming. We were introduced to the 9 classes that are at the school where we will be teaching, and we spent the afternoon grading some essays about why cheating is bad. They were very entertaining, and it was a great way to ease into the teaching role. Real classroom time begins tomorrow, and I'm really looking forward to it.
Other than that, life here is starting to present itself as normal for me. I am past most of the culture shock I experienced last week, and am really able to enjoy Ghana for what it has to offer.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment