I have just gotten back from the most amazing vacation - I spent four days on two stunning beaches, some of the best I have ever seen. And yes, I tried surfing!
Since my placement ended last week, I decided to spend my final days here relaxing and enjoying more of Ghana. My friend Kelty and I met from different regions of the country on Saturday afternoon in Takoradi (about 4 hours east of Accra) and we headed to a hotel called Safari Beach Resort. Safari Beach is only 30 minutes or so away from Takoradi, but it took a little longer than expected to get to the beach, since we were working hard to negotiate a reasonable taxi fare. In fine form, we always pull out a few words in Twi and then we usually resort to the "we are volunteers - we have no money" spiel. Eventually, it worked. It just took a little extra time on this particular occasion. Thankfully, the driver didn't catch on to the fact that the volunteers with no money were negotiating a cab fare to a luxury beach resort...perfect!
Kelty and I spent one night at this luxury hotel, since the budget guest house down the road was fully booked...shame! We did move to the budget side of things the following night, but the beach was the same, so it made absolutely no difference. For the next two nights, we went to Busua, another beach town about 30 minutes away, where the beach is better for swimming, and surfing. Kelty and I both took a surfing lesson yesterday morning...'fun' is an understatement.
This was the perfect end to an incredible adventure. I am back in Accra now, with only two sleeps left before I take off...still hasn't sunk in yet.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment